Plan for your future now! Come and participate at COM2012- the biggest Metallurgy and Materials Conference in Canada!
-Student Activities and Services
-Schedule of Events
-Student Volunteers at COM
-Becoming a member of CIM
STUDENT SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Here are some of the highlights offered to students during COM.
The schedule is preliminary - stay tuned for updates in the spring of 2012.
Schedule - Poster Competition
Sunday, September 30
|Posters Set Up
Monday, October 1
Wednesday, October 3
Cash prized and gifts will be awarded to the best posters in various categories.
This is your chance to show off!
Submit a Poster Now!
. You will receive an email confirmation that your poster has been received. We have limited space for the competition.
Poster Instructions for all
Judging Criteria - Criteria will consist of:
- Every author should be aware of the following recommendations before preparing their posters
- Poster size - Maximum 90 X 120 cm (3ft wide X 4ft tall). You will share your board with another presenter.
- Readability - Background and font colors have to be chosen in order to get enough contrast and be easily legible from a distance of three feet.
- Set-up - Participants will be asked to set-up their poster on Sunday. Judging will take place on Monday
- Attendance - Presenters should be present at their poster during the judging time for conference delegates.
- The author's name and address and the title of the paper, his/her student status should be described on the top section of the Poster.
- Material for attaching the posters and illustrations will be supplied by the organizers.
- Technical Content - background, procedure, analysis and discussion of results, conclusions (valid and supported).
- Appearance - overall layout, clarity, legibility and amount of text, quality of illustrations, graphs and micrographs.
- Oral Presentation - organization, clarity, timing.
Student Fun Night
Why not join your fellow students in a friendly game/competition of bowling?! FREE for all COM students! Beverages, food and game fee all paid by MetSoc. Departure from the hotel will be at 7:
Student Industry Mixer
Representatives from industry and students are invited to meet informally. We will announce the winners of the Student Poster session and have door prizes. This event is free for students and does not require you to register. We hope to see you there!
Student Round Table
This free event for students (students must confirm attendance) provides the opportunity for students and professionals to discuss topics and exchange ideas in a small group.
Financial assistance is available to support student travel to the conference. Requests are pooled and a limited number of students are selected to receive funds.
Priority will be given to undergraduate students at a Canadian University who are travelling more than 500 km to attend COM. Students are advised of final decision in early September (or about one month prior to the conference).
Undergraduate students who submit a request for funding are required to provide a letter of recommendation from a University Professor or Industry Supervisor.
To apply, please forward the completed application form to the MetSoc office.
Please use the
Student Travel Request Form to request conference funding and send your request with an abstract of your accepted paper/poster to:
Brigitte Farah, MetSoc of CIM
Tel.: (514) 939-2710, ext. 1329, Fax: (514) 939-2714
STUDENTS VOLUNTEER - Become part of COM!
We would like to invite Students to volunteer for COM 2012. It's an excellent opportunity to network and earn some extra cash. Details will become available at a later date starting in May. Please revisit this site for details.
BECOME A MEMBER OF CIM
CIM Membership is free! CIM has designed their student program to offer the student as much room for participation as possible in professional and technical societies. The goals of such participation are awareness and technical competence, critical goals to insuring that student membership will continue to build a sound foundation for future growth. Benefits include:
- Lock into the network - Seek out jobs
- Participate at CIM meetings
- Acquire and share technical knowledge with the industry
- Receive publications
- Appear in the annual CIM directory - the industry's leading resource.
- Publish in CIM Magazine
- Enhance your resume
- Demonstrate your interest to potential employers
View the Staff Manual Now!
Click here to become a member of CIM, http://www.cim.org/en/Services/Membership/ApplyForMemberShip.aspx